Algerian Christians rejoice in the re-opening of a church in El Ayaida (35km east of Oran) which had been closed in January 2018. However, there is still need for prayer in the face of continued government pressure, with several churches remaining closed.
The church was reopened on Wednesday 20 June. As with two other recently reopened churches in this governorate, the order allowing the re-opening does not confer official registration under the 2006 ordinance governing non-Muslim worship (which requires churches to obtain permission to operate). All three churches are members of the Protestant Church of Algeria (l’Église Protestante d’Algérie).
In May, two churches in the governorates of Tizi Ouzou and Bejaia were closed and have yet to be permitted to reopen.
Algerian Christians appreciate your prayer support. They request continued prayer that:
- Christians in Algeria will know the Lord’s peace, wisdom and guidance in the face of ongoing pressures
- church leaders will have discernment in all dealings with the authorities
- recently closed churches would soon be permitted to reopen, and that no further action will be taken against those churches still under investigation
- the authorities will stop their campaign to close churches and limit Christians’ freedom to worship
- those responsible for the closure orders would know the conviction of the Holy Spirit and the forgiveness and new life offered by Jesus